It is the evening before the start of school. The start of a new year with a fresh group of 4th graders for me, seventh grade for the girls, and graduate course number two, (the first time I've taken my own coursework while teaching students.)
We had an early dinner. The girls got their own things ready. I prepped lunch items and did laundry this afternoon. Dax is napping since he has to work overnight tonight. I printed out my rosters and finished typing in my lesson plans. I'm waiting for the stress out to hit me...and it's stressing me out.
Normally at this time of the year, I would be running in circles, trying to get everything checked off my to-do list, squeezing in one last adventure before the start of school, suffering with nervous stomach and the fear of not sleeping.
But I'm not. I'm reading a book and feeling guilty (a little bit) about not freaking out. And feeling nervous (a little bit) that I forgot to do something because surely I should not be this calm.
I really want to try to keep a few promises to myself this year.
1. I will enjoy my graduate course work. After all, it's studying to do something I think I will love.
2. I will not let my role of teacher define me. Teaching is something I do, it's not who I am as a person.
3. Stay committed to yoga and meditation, even when things get busy. They will help keep me grounded.
4. Stay present focused and thinking with the heart center rather than getting stuck in my own head. Have faith and look for the positive in everything!!
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment