Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Committing Again

 It's been 6 years since I participated in the March SOL challenge. During that six years, I journaled sporadically, wrote some poetry, crafted letters to my daughters as they experienced some life transitions both wonderful and challenging. Writing feels indulgent to me, and rather than prioritizing it, I add it to the "to do" list and then push it down the list as the day goes by. I withhold this time from myself, and I'm not sure why. Definitely technology, in the form of social media and mindless apps, zaps time that I could devote to writing. Lack of subject matter plagues me at times, and I get caught in what feels like mindless stream-of-consciousness writing. Busy job and busy kids have also been high on my list of excuses; however, taking this year off from teaching to move my family cross country, get my girls settled into college life and learn how to manage a small hobby farm SHOULD afford me at least a few minutes a day to put pen to paper (or type at my kitchen table.) But, I still have not made the commitment to my writing that I wish I would. I joined SOL at the last minute, hoping that by making this month-long commitment, I can once again relaunch my writing journey.  And so it begins...Happy Mardi Gras. Happy first day of March. Happy writing.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome. The first time I joined was also at the last minute. The good thing with the writing is that a lot of the observing, thinking and drafting can happen outside the screen. The month will have lows and highs, some pain and lot of fun, and I hope you will enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you that you found your way back. Being a hobby farmer means you are outdoors a lot and will have a wealth of experiences to share. I will look forward to them as I once walked in those shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete