Saturday, March 21, 2015

Confession

I have a confession to make.

I am a recipe addict. A collector of the delicious possibilities. A keeper of culinary potential. An organizer of clippings and cards.

My addiction started when I was young. My mom and both my grandmothers were bakers and had a collection of cook books as well as beloved recipes saved on cards in little metal boxes. (I now collect those too.) I loved browsing through all these potential projects as much as I loved sampling the delicacies they produced. The beautiful photographs, the unique (or simple) ingredient lists, the pages of useful tips for the home cook. I loved them all. 

As I started college, my addiction went electronic. It was the very beginning of the internet and everything was text only. After typing up assignments for class in the computer lab, I would venture into list serves looking for recipes others had posted online. At this same time, I worked in the book store at my university, so I had ready access to cookbooks and cooking magazines. Browsing the bargain shelves for cookbooks became a past-time and once I even talked a publishing company rep into giving me a free copy of a huge culinary arts book with step by step directions and pictures for everything from artfully carving vegetables to cooking a rabbit. (Yuck)

Next came the cookbook clubs, where for a commitment to purchase just 3 books at regular price, I could pick out 8 free. (Never mind the fact that shipping costs were outrageous.) What a deal! Many of the books that are stacked in an upstairs closet came from those books clubs. 

Then, I got really into magazines. I subscribed (and impulse bought) probably hundreds of cooking magazines over the years. Eventually, my stacks get so huge I'm forced to either throw them out or sit for hours pulling out potential cooking and baking projects that I might want to try. 

Wait, try a recipe? Not once have I mentioned actually cooking as I describe this addiction of mine. Do I actually cook or bake? Yes. But where do my recipes usually come from? The internet, of course. Or possibly from something I've seen on TV that I then look up on the internet. Yes, I have boxes and binders and shelves full of recipes I've collected over the years, but the inefficiency of looking through them all prevents me from using them a lot of the time. I have my go-to favorites of course, but 9 times out of 10, I end up searching and printing (and then storing) a recipe from a web-site. 

So, what do I do with my addiction? I've tried selling my cook books. (They don't bring a lot of $ second-hand.) I've tried hiding them in boxes in the attic. I've tried picking one or two...determined to cook my way through those (and only those) books. I've banned myself from buying more books or magazines. I've gone through my collection and donated books I never use. But, I can't seem to get rid of them. Each one brings with it a memory of a particular time in my life. I love the color photos (I never buy a book without pictures.) In some ways, they are like art to me. And so...my shelves are crammed full, some of my closets too, and a new magazine just arrived in the mail. (That subscription was a Christmas gift.) 

12 comments:

  1. We all have our collections and fancies! I get sucked in by Food Network regularly but I really hate cooking for myself. Thanks for sharing this slice. Also, consider selling or buying recipe boxes and cards on Etsy. My friend gets a ton of $ for those old Cards from Current!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun obsession and collection! :-) It sounds like they are very special to you. I love that you compare them to art. I feel that way about picture books! I need to do something with my recipes - they are just stuffed together and bound with a rubber band. Maybe a future project....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could be a really great obsession! I bet your friends and family love seeing what you will bring to potlucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love this obsession also, however, I love to eat also and hmmm....not just a really great combo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say, there's no such thing as too many books! Fun collection!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post kept me reading, imagining the beautiful, tempting cookbook stacks climbing to the ceiling. Treasure your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read cookbooks and watch cooking shows, even though I don't do much cooking. I can completely understand the allure of those cookbooks and recipe cards and magazines, etc. Everything always sounds so amazing and it's nice to think about sampling those different foods!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you've organized your writing takes us on the journey of your addiction from its start to its current state. I can imagine you surrounded by stacks of books. When you mentioned theit pictures, I imagined you framing some of the pages or covers to commemorate the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to this! I love cookbooks and I have a lot of them. Special ones include one that belonged to my grandmother and one that I bought in France (yes, it's in French). I have also tried some of your strategies, like picking one book to try recipes from for a time. I think you should just enjoy your hobby - it's pretty harmless after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can completely relate! I love cookbooks and recipes. I actually read cookbooks in bed...more than I'd like to admit. I'm constantly on Pinterest or other sites, looking for recipes to try. I use them as a guide and try to create my own invention. Looking at recipes and watching Food Network is seriously one of my favorite things. (And happens to be a topic in my Slice tonight!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can completely relate! I love cookbooks and recipes. I actually read cookbooks in bed...more than I'd like to admit. I'm constantly on Pinterest or other sites, looking for recipes to try. I use them as a guide and try to create my own invention. Looking at recipes and watching Food Network is seriously one of my favorite things. (And happens to be a topic in my Slice tonight!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left a comment but it disappeared. Hmm... I love taking pictures of food and writing about food. Your post makes me want to go gather some recipes for Pinterest boards. Happy cooking and reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete