Growing up, everyone who lived in my town had a fence around their yard. Most of them were constructed of some kind of metal posts and wire, sometimes chain-link, but often more simply constructed. Their purpose was to keep dogs in the yard and small children from wandering off. Other than that, I think they were meant to fade into the background. They were definitely not meant for privacy. Despite all the neighbors on my street having one, I could see from one end of the block to the other. I knew when my friends were out playing, when the old lady at the end of the street was in her garden and when the the children I babysat for were out in their sandbox. These fences were easy to climb over (sometimes under) and often had gates to allow easy access for neighborly visits.
The neighborhood I live in now also has fences surrounding each yard. They are all made of wood, and stand at least 6 feet high. They are meant to keep dogs in the yard and small children from wandering off. They are also intended to provide privacy and a sense of security. I guess our current fence makes me feel secure...but I'm not so sure the fences of my childhood didn't make me feel more so. Back then, I knew all my neighbors. We knew which dogs and cats could be outside and which ones shouldn't be. We knew whose yard we could climb into to fetch lost balls and frisbees and who would prefer that we use the gate. We knew when someone needed a helping hand with raking leaves or mowing a lawn. We KNEW. Now, I barely know my neighbors. The ones I do know, are "front yard" neighbors. We say hello, and give a wave...but there is not the familiar feeling that we are all a community of people living on one block, sharing our lives with each other.
Rather than relying on our neighbors to help us feel safe, we rely on wooden sentries...sturdily constructed but greatly lacking in kindness and compassion. Something to think about.
definitely something to think about! great slice. thank you.
ReplyDeleteSuch an irony really, feeling less secure with the 6ft privacy fence than with the step over friendly fence. Such a great thought…
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point. You're right...we don't know our neighbors like we used to, do we? We put up invisible fences as well as those physical ones.
ReplyDelete