Sunday, March 15, 2015

Technology V Unplugging

We are leaving on a three day camping trip. Our rule for camping is generally NO technology other than using a cell phone to look for geo-cache sites. We let the girls use phones in the car to listen to music or play games; however, as soon as we arrive everyone unplugs. We try hard to leave behind the modern world for a little bit of R and R and quality family time. 

Of course, this year, I'm faced with a bit of a problem. This is my first year slicing, and I honestly didn't think I'd be able to keep up. Thankfully I've been inspired by others' examples/support and my words have managed to keep flowing each and every day.  I really want to keep up with the challenge, which means that I'm going to have to "plug in" each day to post to my blog and comment on others. 

This evening, one of my daughters asked me what I was going to do about my blog while we were gone. I was honest with her and told her I would probably be using my phone once a day to link up and post, explaining that I felt strongly about pushing myself to complete the challenge. She asked me why and, funny enough, I mentioned being eligible for prizes at the end. I think I said that because I believed it was something her 11 year old self would be able to relate to. Quickly, I corrected myself and told her it really had nothing to do with being eligible to win anything. It's really about accomplishing something I set out to do. I really want to follow through even if it will take some effort to do so. She looked at me sideways for a minute, then nodded her head as if to say, "I get that...carry on." 

So, I think I have one 11-year-old's permission to break our, "no technology" rule. The other one, might not be quite as easy to convince. I may have to bargain with her.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it this far! This is my fourth March participating and every year I learn something new. My first year I, probably like most of us, was unsure about completing the journey. There are obstacles worth overcoming. I learned I was a writer and learned so much that continues to push me when I teach writing. Camping sounds lovely and you will be able to (mostly) honor your desire to unplug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That head nod from your daughter is right on. Keep on pushing, it's my first year slicing too and some days I'm not so sure about completing it but we're already 1/2 done.

    ReplyDelete