This is the time of year when, despite my beliefs about what fuels growth in middle grade readers, I ask myself, "Did you do the right thing not focusing more of your instruction on test passages, test vocabulary, test language, test format?" I know the answer, but the little, "what ifs" sometimes find their way into the very corners of my mind.
Today we went to the library, and I found myself almost in tears. Here are just a few of the things I heard and saw as I stood in the midst of my fourth graders.
I saw:
Kids who had their book logs out and were actively searching for books in genres they hadn't yet explored.
Students pulling books off the shelves and reading the blurbs.
Students having a conversation and working on computers to find biographies on famous athletes (especially soccer players.)
Students pouring through the the graphic novel section (call number in hand) looking for a book one student was recommending to another.
Persistent students combing through the returned (but not yet shelved) books in search of the next book in a series.
Students sprawled all over the library, quietly reading, without being reminded!!
I heard:
"Yes!" (fist pump) when the librarian handed over the second book in a series he'd been waiting for.
"Hey Hanna, are you still looking for a humorous fiction? Have you tried Beverly Cleary? Her books are funny, but they are a little bit historical fiction too." (I giggled a lot about this one. Historical? Ramona?)
"Mrs. S., I used to not pay much attention to my reading log and didn't even use it. But now, I've already got 10 squares filled in. I just got a traditional tales and a humorous fiction so I can get two more squares. I think I read a lot more now."
"Can you help me find that book, Riding Freedom? I really liked the chapter we read together in class, and I think I want to try the whole book."
And 5 minutes later...
"Mrs. S., I found out what happened to her parents! They didn't tell us in the part we read together, but just listen to this..."
So, am I growing readers? With a sprinkling of proud tears...yes! Will some of them fail to pass the state exam? Probably. But those same students might read over the summer, discuss a book with a friend, write on online review and come back to school in the fall ready to tackle a new reading challenge...They are readers!
What a wonderful, inspiring post! I'm so glad you took the time to watch and listen and to see the seeds you've been planting blooming in the library. Delightful! What a gift you've given these young readers.
ReplyDeleteOh, my heart bursts with pride for you and your students. You are indeed growing readers, the best work we can do!
ReplyDelete