When I began the Slice of Life Challenge on the first of March, I really did not think I would be able to keep up with it. Writing has always been something I put on the back burner... a hobby to play with if I ever have time, or when I don't have a good book to read. It was convenient to say I wanted to be a writer, but just didn't have the time.
Committing to this challenge wasn't difficult. I already had a blog I started some years back and posted on for a short time. I'm not afraid of technology (though I'm not very sophisticated about using it.) My concern about publicly displaying my writing was not really a road block either. As a teacher, I feel like I'm always being evaluated in some way by someone for something. I was confident I could handle the constructive feedback I would receive from other members of the challenge.
Honestly, at the beginning of the month, I was really my only road block. Belief in myself that I could/would make writing each day a priority. I've tried committing to other things in the past, journal writing, running, walking, yoga, dieting, not eating sugar. I just have a hard time sticking to something when life's little messes get in the way. So starting out the month, I really didn't think I'd make it.
But then at some point, I hit a sweet spot. I don't know what day it was. It may have happened over several days. But at some point, I got to a place where there was no a shred of doubt that I could complete the challenge. It wasn't that the writing ideas were coming more easily, or that I was any less pressed for time to write. Something just clicked one day and writing no longer became an optional activity for me. It's become a habit, and one that I am beginning to feel like I cannot do without. I'm excited for my writing life...and I'm also excited about applying this process to other things I really value but have never been able to commit to. This challenge has made me feel empowered to own my time, being proactive about my priorities, rather than letting my responsibilities outweigh my possibilities. Feeling inspired!
Isn't it a good feeling? Getting into the habit is half the battle and you've done it. :)
ReplyDelete